Editors Note: Scroll down to listen to the NBA Shot Clock Pod where we discuss these random thoughts in more detail! The best 15 minutes of NBA random thoughts online!
The Random Words
1. Josh Hart is the type of player every team needs. High energy, toughness and does all the little things that help a team win. He’s happy playing that role and as a free agent at the end of this season will make good money.
2. Staying on the Knicks, Quentin Grimes and Miles McBride are improving as the season plays out. Both are good defenders and Grimes has begun to expand his offensive game. The Knicks have RJ Barrett signed to a new contract beginning next year. They have numerous draft picks and if you couple those two they could go out and get that additional star that could vault the Knicks to title contender.
3. Joel Embiid is great and at times unstoppable offensively. He is my MVP this year. That is not to take anything away from Nikola Jokic who is having another great season. For Philadelphia to win the title they are going to need Tobias Harris and Tyrese Maxey to step up and become the scorers they are capable of being.
4.The Boston Celtics have been struggling lately. One of the reasons may be Jayson Tatum‘s three point shooting. In the last eleven games he has shot 30 for 101 from three. That’s 29.9%, last night he went 0 for 8 in the Celtics win over Minnesota. The question, is he tired from playing extended minutes this year. He has played sixty-five of the seventy games the Celtics have played. He is averaging over thirty-seven minutes a game. If his game doesn’t return the Celtics could struggle to get out of the first round of the playoffs.
5. Every time I watch the Bucks in a close game it seems Jrue Holiday does something that propels them to a win. He has been a clutch shooter and great defender. He is a an underrated player that deserves a great deal of credit for putting Milwaukee in the position they are in.
6. Speaking of the Bucks, Brook Lopez has taken his game up a level this year. His ability to protect the basket has been outstanding and has made the Buck defense difficult to score against. He is a leading candidate for Defensive Player Of The Year.
7. If you watch the Nets play you can see the direction the NBA is headed. They are all drive and kick. By this I mean they have a few players that can go to the basket and are surrounded by good three point shooters. Just about all of their wings can shoot and defend. They are a fun team to watch.