- The Washington Wizards have improved with the addition of Kristaps Porzingis this year. Their defense has improved going from twenty-fifth in the league to ninth in points allowed per one hundred possessions. Though they have improved they appear to be a team stuck in the middle of the pack. The only way they can make the jump from stuck in the middle to an upper level playoff team appears to be through a major trade. They don’t seem to have enough talent as presently constituted to compete with the top teams in the league.
- I’ve watched the Houston Rockets numerous times this year. They seem to have some nice young talent. Players like Alperen Sengun, Jalen Green and Jabari Smith have nice futures. The problem is, they seem to be five guys playing like they never played together. The first guy that gets the ball shoots and their defense is only played sporadically.
- Sacramento has been impressive during their winning streak. Their offensive production thus far is at a record pace. Last night’s game against Memphis displayed the one flaw they need to fix to become a good team. Their ability to closeout a win is suspect. They tried to give that game to Memphis down the stretch making numerous mistakes. Fortunately they held on and the hope is from this they will learn how to execute down the stretch.
- Oklahoma City while not a contender is fun to watch. They play hard in a fast paced manner and don’t quit no matter the score. BTW Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has elevated his game and has become one of the top players in the league.
- Speaking of fun to watch teams, the Utah Jazz are that as well. Will Hardy has taken a group of what were considered average players and made them a good team. Lauri Markkanen has developed into an all star. He is averaging over twenty two points and eight rebounds a game.
- The Charlotte Hornets biggest question is whether Michael Jordan wants to break up the team and be a full fledged entrant into the Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes. Truth is they are well on their way. Charlotte does have some assets they could trade, Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre and Terry Rozier. They could help some playoff teams while Charlotte could grab some draft picks to help start their rebuild.
- The Nets are a team that is difficult to read. They play a few good games than have a stinker like last night against Philadelphia. They can score with any team but their defense is not very good. As I’ve said before they need a big that can rebound and protect the rim. Hats off to Ben Simmons who seems to be coming back to his old self. If things don’t improve will they decide to blow it up.