- Phoenix Suns – People don’t give them the credit they deserve. Monty Williams has quietly coached this team to excellence. Right now they lead the conference by seven games and should survive the loss of Chris Paul in the regular season. If Paul is healthy in the playoffs they are the favorite.
- Golden State Warriors – They are the sexy team with Stephen Curry and his teammates. People are now realizing Draymond Green’s importance as the Warriors have struggled without him. Golden State has a good chance of winning the conference with a healthy Green. Their championship pedigree can only help.
Good But Lack Playoff Experience
- Memphis Grizzlies – Memphis is a team on the rise. Presently they are only one game behind Golden State. With Ja Morant they are a good team in transition however in the playoffs when it becomes more of a half court game they could have a problem.
A Notch Below
- Utah Jazz – Don’t underestimate the loss of Joe Ingles. Utah is a team that relies on the three and they lost a good streak shooter in Ingles. Over the years it seems they come up short in the playoffs. I don’t see that changing.
- Dallas Mavericks – Give Jason Kidd credit he has turned an average group of defenders into a good defensive group. With Luca playing as well as he is they are dangerous and could surprise.
- Denver Nuggets – Any team with the Joker is a team you take seriously. The key for Denver is if Michael Porter Jr. and Jamar Murray come back and play like they did before the injuries.
Looks Like The Play In
- Minnesota Timberwolves – The Wolves have improved but still are a ways away from playing with the big boys. Karl-Anthony Towns is playing the best he has ever played and with Anthony Edwards they make a good duo. If D’Angelo Russell was more consistent things would look better.
- Los Angeles Lakers – What can you say that hasn’t been said. The Lakers have fourteen of their last twenty-four on the road. Without Anthony Davis they have their work cut out.
- Los Angeles Clippers – The combination of Tyronn Lue‘s coaching and role players playing above their head make them a tough out. Is there enough talent to be able to compete with the big boys.
Playing To Get In the Play In
- Portland Trail Blazers – They have responded well to all of the trades but Jusuf Nurkic‘s injury may be the one that kills them. Anfernee Simons looks like the real deal but he can only take them so far.
- San Antonio Spurs – Don’t sell a Popovich team short but this team appears to not have enough talent to go anywhere. Dejounte Murray is good but there isn’t much around him.
- New Orleans Pelicans – The most interesting team of the play in teams. They have a core with Brandon Ingraham, CJ McCollum and Jonas Valenciunas but where oh where is Zion williamson.
- Sacramento Kings – Only in the unbalanced West would a team that is 22-28 be still thinking playoffs.
Playing For The Lottery
- Oklahoma City Thunder – They are putting together some nice pieces in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Josh Giddey and Lu Dort but need more.
- Houston Rockets – Maybe Dennis Schroder, a veteran, can help them because their lack of veteran leadership has hurt their young players development.
thePeachBasket exists to amplify the voice of passionate basketball fans worldwide! We are the home of Fan Experts and Voice of the Fan! ™
Down The Stretch In Down The Stretch Down The Stretch In Down The Stretch In